ExportAR: Marine is the world’s first sales application to use augmented reality (AR), immersive technology to connect UK exporters with overseas buyers and partners. The pilot project which is built for and in partnership with UK based Marine companies is funded by the Department for International Trade and delivered by Business West.
The ExportAR: Marine project is working to accomplish the following goals:
- Use immersive AR technology to support UK exporters in the marine sector, and provide potential buyers with an informative, memorable and interactive experience to enrich the sales process.
- Develop a cross-border sales solution for UK exporters which enables immersive and interactive product demonstrations whilst the seller and buyer are in separate locations.
- Optimise cross-border sales process by reducing time, cost and emissions associated with overseas travel.
- Provide a Covid-secure method for UK exporters to sell overseas.
ExportAR: Marine will initially be developed for Apple iPad devices powered by IOS 9 or later. Prospective buyers will be invited to download the ExportAR: Marine app from the Apple Business Store. Within the app they’ll be able to request and schedule a meeting with one of our three participating Marine companies. Just like the meetings we’ve all become accustomed to attending in Zoom or MS Teams, it will begin with a video call between all attendees.
Once the meeting starts the seller will be able to present to the meeting attendees and, at the click of a button they’ll be able to showcase their product using AR to display photo-real 3D models of their products. Take a look at the screenshot below to see how AR would be utilised within the app. Every user in the meeting will be able to interact with the product. Moving and rotating the product, pinching to zoom, double-tapping to reveal layers and features as well as view video and other rich content giving users an immersive and enriched sales experience. At the end of the meeting buyer attendees will be asked to conduct a short survey about both the Export AR: Marine app and their overall experience.
The primary benefits of the app are as follows:
How to get involved
As this is a pilot project, a great deal of emphasis is being placed on testing, collecting data and feedback, and using this to inform future development and expansion of using immersive technology to support low-carbon international trade. We invite individuals and organisations from the below segments to complete an expression of interest (EOI). This will enable us to invite you to be one of the first to trial the app upon launch.
- Overseas buyers of marine technology
- Department for International Trade (DIT) representative
- Businesses and Business Support Organisations in the marine sector
- Universities/research organisations with an interest in immersive technology and international trade
Please visit our ExportAR: Marine landing page to complete our expression of interest form and apply to be part of the pilot. You’ll then be invited to attend a demonstration once the app is ready. Please ensure you meet the technical requirements to be able to take part in the project. Minimum tablet/mobile specification to be considered: 5th generation iPad, 3rd generation iPad Air, 5th generation iPad Mini, 1st generation iPad Pro.
Submitting your expression of interest
Please complete the form below if you're interested in getting involved in the project or you just want to keep up-to-date with future developments. A member of our team will be in touch with more information closer to our launch date in the Spring.