Business West, which runs the Chambers of Commerce in Bristol, Bath, Gloucestershire and Wiltshire, has joined forces with more than 450 Chambers across the world to sign up to the International Chambers of Commerce Chambers Climate Coalition.
The initiative, launched at the World Chambers Congress in Rio de Janeiro on 12-14 June provides a platform for Chambers to visibly demonstrate their commitment to take action aligned with the Paris Agreement’s overarching objective of “holding the increase in the global average temperature to well below 2°C above pre-industrial levels and pursuing efforts to limit the temperature increase to 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels, recognising that this would significantly reduce the risks and impacts of climate change.”
It also provides an opportunity to showcase the important role Chambers can play in driving the transition to a cleaner and more resilient planet. This objective can be met only through a global cooperative effort - ensuring that climate solutions are deployed at scale to enable us all to leapfrog to cleaner, more resilient economies.
Climate action is everyone’s business, and through the Chambers Climate Coalition Business West is ready to take bold action.
We therefore commit to the following:
- To advocate for climate action within our business networks and for well-conceived policies to limit the global average temperature rise to 1.5°C.
- To support the goal of achieving net-zero emissions globally by 2050.
- To mainstream climate mitigation and resilience guidance into Chamber services.
- To work with public and private entities to support effective climate solutions as part of a transformational change that works for people and planet.
- To reduce the greenhouse footprint from Chamber activities without delay.
Hamad Buamim, Chairman of the World Chambers Federation said:
“Chambers play a key role in helping businesses adapt to the challenges and opportunity of the many disruptions impacting today’s business and social landscapes”
James Monk, Director of Commercial Services at Business West, said:
“Business West is a proud signatory of the Chambers Climate Coalition which is proactively mobilising the Chamber community to make a real difference through concrete and achievable climate action. We are now working with our members to explore how we can make a difference and best take action across the South West.”